CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Classes and Other Stuff

I was perusing the hospital's Web site earlier today and decided to check out their Lamaze classes since my doctor requires it. At first I was thrown off because I didn't see anything called Lamaze. "They have to have them," I thought so I started clicking on the classes they listed and finally found what I was looking for, "Prepared Childbirth Education -- Emphasis is on making childbirth a positive experience and to allow you, as a family, to take an active role in your birth experience and in your care at the medical center." It doesn't say a thing about breathing techniques, which is what I think of when I'm told to take a Lamaze class, so hopefully this is what I'm supposed to take. I had to laugh at the "positive experience" part because really, how positive can it be pushing something that big out a hole that small?! lol.... EPI-DUR-AL. Enough said.

Anyway, they suggest taking them during the 6th to 7th month, which, believe it or not....is next month already! The class is 4 weeks, meeting once a week for 2 1/2 hours. I'm going to be very good at breathing after 10 hours of this stuff! ; ) Our first session is March 16 when I'll be 24 weeks along.

I still have to sign up for a breastfeeding class but I don't know at what stage they recommend those. The hospital's site didn't really say, other than it's just a single session and spouses/partners are encouraged to attend. I can see my hubs reaction to that already, "I seriously have to go to that?" ; ) I hope he isn't the only spouse that shows up. lol.... My pediatrician's office also offers breastfeeding classes and I'm thinking I'd rather go to theirs....same length and cost....because I have to go to their office a few days after we get home so their lactation nurses can see how we're doing. If I go through their class, I'd already be familiar with them. Plus, it's closer to our house.

As for me, I feel really good during the day but nights are getting worse. I'm having more trouble getting back to sleep after I wake up (to go potty, which is often) because of the round ligament pain. It used to go away shortly after I got back into bed but now they're lasting up to half an hour. I read today that at 18 weeks your uterus is the size of a cantaloupe, so that explains why the tendons and ligaments are causing 'growing pains' from stretching to accommodate the size. They eventually go away (supposedly), but I don't know at what point. From my experience thus far, as soon as one 'bad' thing subsides, something equally unpleasant is right around the corner! lol...

We find out the gender NEXT WEEK on the 12th! (Insert high-pitched squeal here!) I probably won't update my blog until the 16th because we are heading back to my parent's house on the 13th for the three-day weekend. My mom has discovered this site so I'm afraid to announce it before we tell them in person. I say "discovered" because I never told her I started this baby blog. She had the old weight loss blog address but I knew she never checked it, so I wasn't worried at all that she'd go to it and stumble onto the news that we were expecting. However, last month out of the blue she decided to check my 'old' blog to see if I had written anything there, and viola! There was the link to the baby blog. Her comment was something like, "Gee, I could've known the news long ago!" lol... Anyway, she checks this out every now and then and I don't want the surprise to be ruined. I know you'll all understand the delay. I'll post some ultrasound pics AND a belly pic at the same time, so you have something to look forward to! ; )

Hmmm....on SECOND thought....I could have it all written and just save it as a draft...and publish it from their house that night or on the 13th! We'll see if I have time to get it done before we head out of town.

Until next time....good luck on your weight loss/exercise efforts and to the two of you TTC...I'm sending some baby-making vibes your way. ; )

p.s.

I think I've been feeling the baby move here and there a bit. Not positive though.....could just be gas bubbles. ; )

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Where has the time gone??? Before we know it you're going to have your baby!! Sounds like things are going well! Can't wait to find out boy or girl. Not sure if I can wait though. ;-) Tell your mom not to look! haha j/k ----- well kinda! :-)

Chellie has Issues said...

I didn't even know they gave nursing classes BEFORE having baby. That seems hhmmmm....do you practice on dolls? :) I mean seriously, I think it would be hard without the baby. Good with the the childbirth preparedness classes. THey show live births. My huband was gonna die. AND he works in surgery so it shouldn't be anything new to him. I hope you hubby does better than mine!

Anonymous said...

husband here. As far as them showing the birthing process at Lamaze class. I don't really see myself having problems with that. Back in the day when I was at the gym at 5AM, once in a while one of the tvs would be left on Discovery Health. Apparently they think that's a good time to show birthing shows. I was not disgusted, just shocked to see THAT at 5:00 in the morning at the gym.

Hazel said...

I can't imagine how anxious you guys must be. Are you going to share your name or wait until he/she is born? I bet you have been feeling the baby if you think you have. That is so exciting. I can't wait to read the update this week (I actually thought it was tomorrow, darn!) and see the pictures.

RooBabs said...

That's so exciting that it's almost time to find out the sex- yay!!! Have you had any dreams, or do you have a "feeling" one way or the other?

I can't believe how much stuff there is to think about when having a baby. Prepared childbirth education classes, nursing classes, day care, preparing/painting a nursery. Sheesh- so much work! Oh, and your "EPI-DUR-AL" comment cracked me up. I don't understand the draw of a natural birth. My mom did it once (out of 6 kids) and it was on accident- my sister came too darn fast. No thank you!

I think I would die if my mom ever read my blog. I mean, we're close, but there are just some things that I don't talk about with her, and certain ways that I talk about things. But luckily your mom didn't find it before the surprise. = )

kikimonster said...

LOL... I'm ALL about the drugs. One of my friends was convinced that she wanted to do a drug-free birth, but the doctors made her sign the consents just in case she changed her mind. Good thing she did, because she totally caved on an epidural. I want to be as numb as possible :)