CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 6, 2008

First Ultrasound

I had to go in for an ultrasound today because the doctor was concerned about the stabbing-like pain I've been having on the left side of my abdomen. It turns out I have a cyst on my left ovary but it's nothing to worry about.

Apparently when the egg was released from my left ovary, it left a cavity which sealed over and filled with fluid. The cyst is producing the progesterone for the baby until the placenta takes over. They aren't all that uncommon and 99% of them dissolve on their own by the 13th week. Until then, I'll experience the sharp jabbing pains where the cyst is on that side. As the ultrasound tech said, "the pain can stop you in your tracks" which is a very good description because it literally has. So the next 7 weeks or so won't be the most comfortable, but at least I know nothing is wrong. Most importantly, the baby is developing in the uterus where it should.

I did have to get my blood drawn to check my body's progesterone levels to make sure they'll be high enough to sustain the pregnancy once the cyst dissolves and the placenta takes over. The results will be back tomorrow. If they're too low I'll be put on progesterone.

The yolk sac is a good size and the amount of fluid is good, too. Everything looks normal. =) She measured the baby at 2 mm or 1/12" .... TINY! It's measuring at 5 weeks 3 days and according to my last period, I'm 5 weeks 5 days so they're very close. She said usually they're doing good to be within a week of eachother and mine are only 2 days apart. See, it pays to be OCD! Each month I would circle the date my period started on my calendar so I knew the exact date. lol...

Before we started she told me not to be concerned if we couldn't see the heartbeat since I'm less than 6 weeks, but guess what? WE DID! And it was thumping nice and strong...and fast!

She sent me home with 3 photos. I tried scanning them but they didn't turn out good enough to post. So you'll just have to take my word for it....he/she is absolutely gorgeous. lol... ; )

4 comments:

ptg said...

Awwww...glad you got to see the baby! And seriously...watching the heartbeat has got to be one of the most amazing things ever. To think that your baby already has a heart...and yet no one can tell you're pregnant? Totally unreal.

Amanda said...

Aw, congrats!!! I'm glad you got the pain checked out, and although it's uncomfortable, you know what's going on!

Hazel said...

Now we all get to read about the journey of a pregnancy! I'm glad you're taking care of yourself and your little one. Maybe we'll get to see your next ultrasound pictures.

RooBabs said...

How exciting to be able to hear the heartbeat already!! And very cool that you got some pics.

That's crappy about the cyst, but luckily everything's okay. I know what you mean about the pain. I had a similar experience a while back, but when they did the ultrasound they didn't find anything, but I'm still not convinced.

BTW, I'm totally OCD, too. I put a little dot on my calendar when I start, and I've also started keeping track of when we do the deed (how pathetic?). Oh, and I got your comment about my surprise, and unfortunately it's not like yours- although I realized after I posted that it might sound like that. It's not really a big deal, and hopefully I'll have time to write about it today and post the pics. Stay tuned. = )