CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Secret's Out!

First I'll tell you about my family's reaction. I had told my mom to call me as soon as the flowers got there so I knew they were delivered, etc. My phone rang around 10:00 a.m. Christmas Eve and it was her, "The flowers just came." That was all she said! I then asked, "So?" "They're pretty," she responded. WTF?? "Have you read the card yet?" I asked. "Your dad is opening it now." I could hear him reading it in the background and then she finally said something like, "Oh!" I don't really remember but it was good. They're happy and excited for us. I guess when it was delivered my dad made the comment that it looked more like a 4th of July arrangement than a Christmas one so I heard him say, "Now it makes sense!" lol.... She did say she was surprised...to which I replied, "you aren't the only one!" lol... We talked for a bit and then I asked if she had received the second card I had sent them and she said yes. I told her to wait to open it till they opened their other presents on Christmas Day.

When my grandparents and aunt got there for lunch (on Christmas Day) she had them read the card for the flowers and I guess my aunt started to cry. Mom called around 2:00 after she had opened the card...the one with the heartbeat recorded into it and said that it was pretty neat. My sister-in-law said she told my brother at Thanksgiving that she bet I was pregnant since I was sick all weekend! They are excited, too.

Moving on to my husband's family. We gave the wine bottles to his mom and sister right before we sat down to dinner. They opened them and each caught on fairly quickly. Then our nieces read the bottles and there was lots of screaming. His mom gave me a hug and screached so loud into my right ear that I swear it was bleeding internally! OUCH! In the meantime his dad was like, "What's going on?" since he hadn't seen the bottle yet. Someone yelled out, "She's pregnant!" and then he was excited, too. It took about 10 minutes for everyone to calm down. The nieces are thrilled that they're finally getting a 1st cousin. The girls are older; 14, 19, and 21 so they will be more like aunts to them but they are thrilled. (My husband's only sibling is 13 years older than him.) The middle one has already offered to babysit whenever we need her to since she's going to college in town and the youngest informed us that she'll babysit once she's down here for college, too.

So it's safe to say that the baby will be more than welcome in its new family. =)

I still haven't broke the news to my coworkers (well, a few of them know but that's it). We always take treats for the whole office on our birthday so that's when I'm telling....January 5...a week from tomorrow. I'm going to bake cupcakes and frost them in pink and blue. If I'm feeling ambitious I might make the gender symbols on top of each with gel or whatever that stuff is. I'm going to have to make 4 dozen though so we'll see.

As for me, I'm in the last week of the first trimester. All I have to say about that is GOOD RIDDANCE! lol... The last week or two have been pretty good so I think I'm on the upswing. I weighed myself this morning and I'm only up 1.8 from where I started but my abdomen is definitely larger. My pants that were once slightly baggy (especially at the end of the day from being stretched out) are fitting a bit snug. I bought some elastic pony tail holders today to use when I can't comfortably button my pants anymore (you put one end around the button and weave it through the hole and back around the button to give you more room). I'm putting off buying maternity pants for as long as I can! I did buy some roomy shirts at Penney's a couple of days ago. They're all from the regular women's section but the style right now is long and flowy...perfect for expanding bellies! All are lightweight material so I'll be able to wear them this spring, too.

We're going to have a really wild New Year's Eve this year as our plan is to go see Marley & Me around 7ish and then 'attempt' to ring in the new year. My husband is still on I.V. antibiotics and will have to do his nightly infusion at 10:00 p.m. so if we decide to stay out, he'll likely be doing it a bar, which is weird but whatever. If we do go somewhere, it'll be to Libations II which is a comfy sort of place. But given that the medicine makes him drowsy and the slightest amount of alcohol has the same effect times two, I'm not promising we'll see 2009 make its debut. We might end up coming home, having a glass of wine (my doc says that would be fine) and heading to bed before the fancy ball drops at midnight. We'll see though.

Have a happy and SAFE New Year's and I'll chat with you next year! ; )

5 comments:

Chellie has Issues said...

I'm glad your family is all happy of you. I guess I missed what is happening with your husband. I hope it's not something permanent? I heard you need to bring a box of tissues to Marley and Me btw!

AmyH said...

Glad to hear that the big announcements went as well, even better than you'd hoped!! Sneaky SIL but glad she didn't spill the beans about Turkey Day!! :) I guess we wait to see pink or blue and then start DECORATING!! Merry Christmas, my friend!! What a Happy New Year you and the Hubs have in store!!

K @ Running Through Life said...

Yay! I am glad the announcements went well! Happy 2nd Trimester!!!

RooBabs said...

Yay! I'm so glad everything went well. And ditto about your SIL not ruining the surprise by saying anything.

I can't believe you're only 1.8 lbs up. That is crazy (but good, I guess). I hope that you feel better during the 2nd and 3rd trimesters.

And have a wonderful New Year, too. I always fall asleep before midnight, and I don't have any excuses, so I'll be there with ya.

Hazel said...

What great announcements! It must be nice to have it in the open and for everyone to know. I can't believe you're over 13 weeks now!