CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Monthly Checkup

I had my 15-week checkup this morning. The nurse was having problems finding the heartbeat so I was starting to worry even though she said not to be concerned. She said sometimes it's hard to detect it during weeks 14-20 because the baby is moving around a lot and they tend to "escape" from the dopplar. She finally found it after 5 minutes (which seemed much longer) and it was thumping at 150 bpm which is a good rate (normal is 110-170).

I've now gained 7 pounds...4 of which were just last week (yes, as in 7 days)! Eegads! lol... I told her I was a bottomless pit and was hungry to the point of lightheadedness every 1.5 hours and had to eat something. She said babies don't gain weight gradually, but in spurts so that's what was going on. It was completely normal and she's not concerned at all. This week I'm back to my regular 3 meals and 3 snacks vs 3 meals and about 6 or 7 snacks! It was BAD! lol... She said not to be alarmed if I don't gain much over the next couple of weeks until it hits another growth spurt.

My next appt is Thursday, February 12, and they'll do an ultrasound to determine gender! =) It's perfect timing because we're going back to McCook the next day for the weekend. It'll be nice to be able to tell my parents the news in person since they had to find out via flowers and a phone call that we were expecting. We'll also have pictures to show which will be fun. I will scan them in and post them here, too. And maybe by then I'll have a belly pic, too!

We had a group consultation with a pediatrician last night. He was very personable and down-to-earth. We were very impressed with him and his practice so we are defnitely choosing him. They have three offices in town and the north location is only a couple of minutes from our house. Their medical records are stored electronically so they can be accessed from each of the three offices, as well as at the three hospitals in town and from the doctors' homes. The east location is open on Saturdays and Sundays, too, which will be really nice since kids don't just get sick or hurt Monday - Friday.

That's all for now!

P.S. Please pray that the baby cooperates next month and has its legs open or something so the tech can get a good look at its parts! lol... This is NOT the time for modesty! hahaha... If she can't tell, we won't find out till July when he or she is born!

6 comments:

kikimonster said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for a slutty baby :) Hahahaha! Aren't you going to have another ultrasound before July? Why can't you find out if the February one doesn't work?

Amanda said...

YAY for a strong heartbeat!! I can't wait to see a belly pic! Start talking to the baby now - "I promise not to show your privates to your first serious boyfriend/girlfriend." Maybe he/she will cooperate if you promise that! :-)

Marcie said...

Kiki...My doctor only schedules one ultrasound during the course of the pregnancy, around 20 weeks, which is to check development of organs, fluid, etc. Finding out the gender is just an added bonus.

As long as the pregnancy continues to progress with no signs of complications, I won't have another one since additional ultrasounds must be "medically necessary." Unfortunately looking for baby parts doesn't fall in that category. ; ) I find it necessary, but the medical field does not. lol...

Big Girl said...

Glad your appointment went well. Good luck with the ultra sound next time.

Hazel said...

Wow, I can't believe your already nearing the big ultrasound. Do you have intuition of what you are going to have? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you next month!

RooBabs said...

Here's to an exhibitionist baby- fetus gone wild, wahoo!! Hopefully all goes well, but if not, I'm wondering if you have those places near you that take 3D photos of the baby. We have a place here called Fetal Fotos and they not only tell what the sex is, but they can actually get a close-up view of the face and other features. I have no idea how much it costs, but it might be a good plan B.

I can't wait for belly pictures! I was just thinking about that the other day, wondering if you were going to post any. That's kind of crazy about the growth spurt/weight gain, but good to know that's normal. Glad that you're no longer a bottomless pit, LOL. = )